After you dig into these meaty beer reads, head to the Arcade [130 Westminster St, Providence] today [2.27] at 5 pm for the I Am Providence Launch Party. Celebrate the fourth release in Narragansett Beer’s Lovecraft series with the crew from Ship Street plus their pals at Rogue Island Bar and Kitchen, New Harvest Coffee and Spirits, and Lovecraft Arts and Sciences. You can sample the new imperial red ale [8% ABV] and take in “weird fiction, movies, [and] amazing food [including free passed appetizers from Rogue Island].” Say hello to Cthulhu for us!
• How craft beer became a ‘pay-for-play’ bad guy, by Jason Notte @ Market Watch [“Independent beer distribution is key to a diverse, fair marketplace that benefits both drinkers and brewers. We just aren’t so sure that’s what brewers or their wholesalers want.”]
• The ‘Eeuuww’ Factor, by Randy Mosher @ All About Beer [On “the dreaded ‘first pour’ syndrome” and other beer problems.]
• The world’s biggest beer company is in purgatory, by Linette Lopez @ Business Insider [“Anheuser-Busch InBev — the biggest brewer in the world and maker of the ubiquitous Budweiser — is in a really funky place.”]
• Beer-making ‘punk’ behind BrewDog spills his entrepreneurial secrets, by Teresa Novellino @ New York Business Journal
• Two books that will turn you into the ultimate beer geek, by John Verive @ The Los Angeles Times [“One explores pairing beer with food, and the other is a treatise on all things bitter.”]