Ready for growler-getting? Here’s the where, what, and when; you shouldn’t need any help with the why. [And if you’re new to B&C, dig into our epic post about Rhode Island’s beer laws.]
• This week, Proclamation Ale is tweaking its Friday hours: today from 5-8 pm, you can get the bottle release of The Amazing Adventures of the Alpaca Magi. Brewmaster Dave Witham sez, “This beer is our golden sour fermented in oak barrels with wild yeast and then aged on raspberries.” There are only 250 bottles, limit two per person. And there’s another treat on tap: “We’ll be pouring our special blend we did for events only, The Dark Night Of The Alpaca Magi. This is our straight blonde sour fermented with raspberries and blended in with our dark sour recipe in bourbon barrels. This beer is tasting awesome (we tried not to drink the keg already). It’s on for tastings only while it lasts! And please excuse the mess as we build out the new tasting room!” Also available for growlers/tastings: the Stalk [a double IPA, 8.5%, “sexy hops. JuiceFest. yum”]; Derivative: Mosaic, a 6% pale ale “dry-hopped with bazillions of sexy Mosaic hops”; and Dark Sprout [“4.1% abv dark hoppy session beer…looks dark, but still tastes like a dry, light session beer. Simcoe, Citra, Cascade hop combo” The usual hours are in effect Saturday and Sunday [12-7 and 12-5, respectively].
• On Saturday from 1-4 pm, Tilted Barn Brewery will be sharing a new to-be-named-by-the-time-you-get-there pilsner-based IPA and Summer Sol dry-hopped with Amarillo, plus Early Riser IPA. And the Walrus & Carpenter Oysters crew will be shucking their succulent sea fare for your slurping pleasure.
• Newport Storm’s latest limited edition barrel-aged beer has arrived: Rièzes [keeping the RI-theme going, a la HysteRIa, InfRIngement, and The SheRIff of Rock Ridge]. The Stormers note that it‘s a “copper-hued Belgian-style ale [12% ABV]. The hops take a back seat in this brew as the malt characteristics shine through. Munich malt, Belgian Special B and Belgian Candy Sugar bring forth aromas and tastes of raisin, brown sugar and caramel. The Belgian yeast strain, with reported links to Chimay, rounds out this brew and offers a sweet bakers bread finish.” Bombers are at a store near you. And at Newport Storm HQ, Hurricane Amber Ale, India Point Ale, Summer Hefeweizen, Pislner, and Rhode Island Blueberry are available for tastings ’n’ growlers.
• Foolproof has another pin of Pineapple IPA [made with Mosaic hops] — plus the regulars: Backyahd, Barstool, Raincloud, La Ferme Urbaine, King of the Yahd, and Augtoberfest [which is running low]. They’re open today from 5-8 and Saturday from 1-5 [with tours at 1, 2, 3, and 4] for tastings [$10, includes three samples] and growler fills.
• Grey Sail [Wednesday-Friday 4-7 pm, Saturday and Sunday 1-5] is pouring Autumn Winds Oktoberfest, Captain’s Daughter [growler fills only], Flagship, Flying Jenny, Great Ketch, and Pour Judgement.
• At Bucket Brewery: a test batch of a German Marzen is pouring; when it kicks, BOG Carnberry-Orange Saison will take over the tap. Plus: Paul & Al’s Hoppy 25th Anniversary Pilsner, 33rd Inning Red Rye Lager, Pawtucket Pail Ale, Sabin’s Stout, and Park Loop Porter. Tastings [and growler fills/six-pack sales] today [1-7:30 pm] and Saturday [11 am-5 pm, $5] and tours on Saturday [1:30, 2:30, 3:30 pm, $13, includes pint glass].
• Crooked Current has “a new super-charged” Immorality Pale Ale dry-hopped with Galaxy hops, plus Kickback American Wheat and Oatmeal Raisin Stout [Thursday 5-7 pm, Friday 5-8 pm, and Saturday 1 to 5].
• Hit the websites for updates on Whaler’s and Ravenous.
For updates and post alerts, PLEASE follow Bottles & Cans on Twitter [@BottlesCansRI] and Facebook and/or SIGN UP for e-mail alerts at the top of this page. Tell your friends!!!